top of page

Special Educational Needs (SEN)

At Newnham Junior School we strive to support all children to enable them to achieve at school.


In order to do this many steps are taken to support them through their learning journey.


Quality teaching is vital; however for some children there are occasions when further additional support may be needed to help them achieve their targets.


Below are Newnham Junior School’s responses to these questions.


How does Newnham  Junior School know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?​

       We know when pupils need help if:

  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers, teaching assistants or the pupil’s previous school

  • Children perform below age expected levels

  • There is a change in the pupil’s behaviour

  • A pupil consistently asks for help

  • Health diagnosis through a Paediatrician


What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?
  • If you have concerns then contact your child’s teacher or SENdCO or Head Teacher.


How will I know how Newnham Junior School will support my child?
  • Each pupil’s education programme will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class.

  • If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as Spelling, Handwriting, and Numeracy & Literacy skills etc. then the pupil will be placed in a small focus group. This will be run by the teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need but will generally be for a term. The interventions will be regularly reviewed by all involved to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision and to inform future planning.

  • These interventions will be recorded on the pupil’s provision map (this is a record of the interventions, timings, cost and impact of the intervention).  If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENdCO.

  • Pupil Progress Meetings are held each term. This is a meeting where the class teacher meets with the Head teacher and the Inclusion Manager to discuss the progress of the pupils in their class. This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems in order for further support to be planned.

  • Occasionally a pupil may need more expert support from an outside agency such as the Educational Psychologist, Paediatrician, SALT, Language Advisor etc. Referral forms are then completed in conjunction with parents/carers and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support is usually provided to the school and parents/carers.

  • We have a duty under the Equality Act 2010 towards individual disabled children to make reasonable adjustments, including the provision of auxiliary aids and services to prevent them being put at a substantial disadvantage. This requires thought in advance to what disabled children and young people might require and what adjustments might need to be made to prevent that disadvantage. i.e. if a child has limited walking ability; there are ramps around the building to support wheelchair access and rails are lowered accordingly to further support the pupil.  

  • The Governors of Newnham Junior School are regularly updated about the progress of children with SEND. 

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?
  • When a pupil has been identified with special needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.

  • TAs (Teaching Assistants) may be allocated to work with the pupil in a 1-1 or small focus group to target more specific needs.

  • Appropriate specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen/pencils grips or easy to use scissors.


​How will I know how my child is doing?
  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parents Evening and Individual Education Plan Reviews which are held at the end of every term and parents are given a copy of the support plan (IEP). The targets set are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time scaled) targets should be achieved by the end of every term.

  • If you wish to raise a concern and speak to the class teacher or SENdCO in detail, appointments can be made by visiting the school office.


How will you help me to support my child’s learning?
  • The class teacher may suggest ways of supporting your child’s learning through messages in the school diary or at parents’ evenings.

  • The SENdCO or the TA who is specifically working with your child may arrange a meeting and meet with you to discuss how to support your child. This would normally follow on from when a child has been assessed by the relevant person.

  • The class Teacher, SENdCO and the TA may meet with you to discuss strategies to use if there are problems with a child’s behaviour/emotional needs.

  • If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved suggestions in the Educational Psychologist Report will be provided that can be used at home.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties.

These include:

  • Members of staff such as the class teacher, teaching assistance and the SENdCO are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns.

  • A social skills group

  • A Therapeutic group

  • A Lego Therapy group

  • Fun games and activities are made available to help provide the pupils with social skills to enable them to form friendships.

  • Small group support in class through guided teaching.

  • Regular parental contact sessions/home school link book.

  • Provision of equipment advised by specialist.

  • Planned programme/ interventions of support from SENdCO or the TA in small groups.


            Pupils with medical needs

  • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school by our school welfare officer.


What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more  specialised expertise.

The agencies used by the school include:

  • Child Protection Advisors

  • Educational Psychologist

  • AAP  (Attendance Advisory Practitioner previously known as Educational Welfare Officers)

  • PASS (Physical & Sensory Service) to support pupils with hearing/visual Impairment

  • Inclusion Team

  • Social Services

  • Children’s Therapy Team (Speech & Language/Occupational Therapy)

  • School Nurse

  •  Educational Officer (Virtual Schools)

  • Behaviour Support Team

  • Hearing and Impairment Specialist teachers


An Educational Psychologist is allocated to each school. She would normally only work directly with pupils whose needs are felt to be quite considerable and have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place for them.

This involvement is generally planned at the Joint School Family Consultation (JSFC).These are meetings held at least twice a year between school staff and where appropriate, other professionals. The aim of a JSFC is to gain an understanding of and try to resolve a pupil’s difficulties, also to update how a pupil is progressing.

In order to help understand the pupil’s educational needs better, the Psychologist will generally meet with the parent and give feedback after the assessment has been completed.

She will offer advice to the school and parent/carers on how to best support the pupil in order to take their learning forward.


What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?

All staff has received some training related to SEND.

These have included sessions on:

  • How to support pupils with a diagnosis of dyslexia.

  • How to support pupils on the autistic spectrum.

  • How to support pupils with emotional needs.

  • The school also has a teaching assistant who has received training enabling her to deliver Occupational Therapy Sessions. Supporting children with fine or gross motor skills. She has also trained in Speech and Language.

  • We have a teaching assistant who has specially trained in supporting our EAL Pupils. Pre-teaching the vocabulary and the use of visual strategies/timetables to support language is imperative.


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

Activities and school trips are available to all.

  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.

  • However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.


How accessible is the school environment?

As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements.

Facilities we have at present include:

  • Improved accessibility is one of the priorities in our development plan


How will the school prepare and support my child when joining Newnham Junior School or transferring to a new school?

Newnham Junior School understands what a stressful time moving schools can be.  Therefore, many strategies are in place to enable the pupil’s transition to be as smooth as possible.

These include:

  • Meetings between the previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving.

  • The SENdCO where appropriate attends the infant feeder schools review.

  • Year 2 pupils attend a Transition Day where they spend the day with their new class teacher.

  • Additional visits are also arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.

  • The SENdCO is always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the school.

  • A teaching assistant takes the current year 6 pupils to additional induction days, prior to joining their new secondary school. This provides them with the opportunity to discuss any concerns they may have.

  • Secondary school staff visits pupils prior to them joining their new school.

  • The SENdCO meets the SENdCO’s from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SENd pupils.

  • Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting is arranged with the SENdCO, the Secondary school SENdCo, the parents/carers and where appropriate the pupil.


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?
  • The SENd budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependant on an individual’s needs. i.e. Art Therapist.

  • The additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher at pupil progress meetings or if a concern has been raised by them at another time during the year.

  • Individual Pupil Premium payments are used to support that pupil’s learning.


How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?
  • When the children join the school support is allocated on the information provided by the feeder school. Usually, in consultation with their year group, the Year Group Leader will allocate teaching assistants, individuals or small groups to support in class or in other focus groups tailored to the pupils needs.

  • During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to the pupil’s lack of progress or well-being then other interventions will be arranged. 

  • Parents/carers will be able to see the support their child is receiving on a provision map. A provision map is a record of support that the pupil is receiving including the impact it is having on the pupil’s learning.


How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education.

This may be through:

  • Discussions with the class teacher

  • during parents evenings

  • during discussions with the SENdCO, Class Teacher, the Teaching Assistance or other professionals

  • parents are encouraged to comment on their child’s IEP during the IEP Review Meetings, with possible suggestions that could be incorporated.


How do we cater for Disability in the school?

Newnham Junior School is keen to take a proactive approach towards disability equality, ensuring that consideration of its disabled members is embedded in all decision making activities. Our vision for our community is that:

  • Disabled members will be free from discrimination and harassment

  • There will be equality of opportunity between those who are disabled and those who are not

  • Positive attitudes towards disabled pupils, parents and staff will be promoted

  • The needs of disabled members will be met, and where necessary, steps will be taken if more favourable treatment is required.

This vision will be key to the school’s plans to close any gaps left from past decision making in order to achieve positive outcomes for current and future disabled members of the school community.

Further information can be found within our Disability Equality Scheme.

Who can I contact for further information

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are unhappy about something regarding your child’s schooling please contact one of the following:

  • Your child’s Class Teacher

  • The SENdCO 

  • The Head teacher 


I hope these have answered any queries you may have but do not hesitate to contact the school if you have further questions.

Updated February 2020

bottom of page